- Urgent Purchase CAS NO.:56-81-5
- Please post your buying leads! Our suppliers will contact you later!
- For suppliers to better understand your request, enter more info here.
1,2,3-Propanetriol ( CASNO:56-81-5 )
Identification and Related Records
- CAS Registry number:
- Glycerol (8CI)
Mackstat H 66
- Molecular Formula:
- Molecular Weight:
- Canonical SMILES:
Chemical and Physical Properties
- Clear, colorless, viscous liquid
- Melting Point:
- Boiling Point:
- Refractive Index:
- Flash Point:
- >500 g/L (20℃)
- Syrupy, rhombic plates
Cleas, colorless syrupy liquid
Clear, colorless, syrupy liquid or solid (below 64 degrees F)[Note: The solid form melts above 64 degrees F but the liquid form freezes at a much lower temperature].
- Stable. Incompatible with perchloric acid, lead oxide, acetic anhydride, nitrobenzene, chlorine, peroxides, strong acids, strong bases. Combustible.
- HS Code:
- Storage temp:
- Spectral properties:
- Imdex of Refraction: 1.4730 @ 25 DEG C/D
Max Absorption(Undiluted): 270 NM (LOG E= -1.2); SADTLER REF NUMBER: 169 (IR, PRISM)
IR: 10001 (Sadtler Research Laboratories IR Grating Collection)
UV: 3-12 (Organic Electronic Spectral Data, Phillips et al, John Wiley & Sons, New York)
NMR: 4979 (Sadtler Research Laboratories Spectral Collection)
MASS: 188 (Atlas of Mass Spectral Data, John Wiley & Sons, New York)
- Computed Properties:
- Molecular Weight:92.09382 [g/mol]
Rotatable Bond Count:2
Topological Polar Surface Area:60.7
Heavy Atom Count:6
Isotope Atom Count:0
Defined Atom Stereocenter Count:0
Undefined Atom Stereocenter Count:0
Defined Bond Stereocenter Count:0
Undefined Bond Stereocenter Count:0
Covalently-Bonded Unit Count:1
Feature 3D Acceptor Count:3
Feature 3D Donor Count:3
Effective Rotor Count:2
Conformer Sampling RMSD:0.4
CID Conformer Count:9
Safety and Handling
- Hazard Codes:
- Risk Statements:
- Safety Statements:
- Hazard Codes: F,Xn
Risk Statements: 36-20/21/22-11
36:Irritating to the eyes
20/21/22: Harmful by inhalation, in contact with skin and if swallowed
11: Highly Flammable
Safety Statements: 24/25-39-26
24/25:Avoid contact with skin and eyes
39: Wear eye/face protection
26: In case of contact with eyes, rinse immediately with plenty of water and seek medical advice
RIDADR: UN 1282 3/PG 2
WGK Germany: 1
F: 3: Hygroscopic.
HS Code: 29054500
- Skin, Eye, and Respiratory Irritations:
- Glycerin dropped on the human eye causes a strong stinging and burning sensation, with tearing and dilation of the conjunctival vessels, but no obvious injury.
- Cleanup Methods:
- Absorb with paper. Evaporate completely all spilt surface. Dispose by burning the paper after complete ventilation of vapor.
- 250kgs in
- Fire Fighting Procedures:
- Alcohol foam, carbon dioxide, dry chemical.
Water fog. Water or foam may cause frothing.
- Fire Potential:
- Fire Hazard: Low, when exposed to heat, flame, or powerful oxidizers.
- Glycerin, oral soln, 50% VOL/VOL (0.628 G/ML) osmoglyn (with potassium sorbate; in lime-flavored, alcon.
Glycerin (anhydrous), ophthalmic soln, ophthalgan (with chlorobutanol) wyeth-ayerst.
USP, CP (pharmaceutical & commercial, where highest grade is required); Saponification, soap lye, crude yellow distilled high gravity or dynamite(dehydrated to 99.8-99.9% purity); Natural; synthetic; "Food Chemical Codex".
Several grades of glycerin are available commercially. They differ somewhat in their glycerol content and in other characteristics such as color, odor, and trace impurities.
50% (v/v) (equivalent to 3.1 g/5 ml) (Rx) (Osmoglyn); 75% (v/v) (equivalent to 4.7 g/5 ml) (Rx) (Glyrol).
Grades of Purity: CP: 99.5%; USP: 96%
- Exposure Standards and Regulations:
- Glycerin used as a multiple purpose GRAS food substance in food for human consumption is generally recognized as safe when used in accordance with good manufacturing practice.
Glycerin used as a general purpose food additive in animal drugs, feeds, and related products is generally recognized as safe when used in accordance with good manufacturing or feeding practice.
- Reactivities and Incompatibilities:
- Exothermic interaction of granular /sodium/ hydride with undiluted (viscous) glycerol with inadequate stirring caused charring to occur.
Incompatibilities: Strong oxidizers
Can react violently with acetic anhydride, (aniline + nitrobenzene), Ca(OCl)2, chromium trioxide, chromic oxide, (fluoride + lead monoxide), (HClO4 + lead monoxide), potassium permanganate, K2O2, silver perchlorate, sodium peroxide, NaH.
Strong oxidizers (e.g., chromium trioxide, potassium chlorate, potassium permanganate) [Note: Hygroscopic (i.e., absorbs moisture from the air)].
- Other Preventative Measures:
- SRP: The scientific literature for the use of contact lenses in industry is conflicting. The benefit or detrimental effects of wearing contact lenses depend not only upon the substance, but also on factors including the form of the substance, characteristics and duration of the exposure, the uses of other eye protection equipment, and the hygiene of the lenses. However, there may be individual substances whose irritating or corrosive properties are such that the wearing of contact lenses would be harmful to the eye. In those specific cases, contact lenses should not be worn. In any event, the usual eye protection equipment should be worn even when contact lenses are in place.
- Protective Equipment and Clothing:
- Persons engaged in synth processes should wear suitable personal protective equipment & eye protective equipment. As with plant used for saponification & hydrolysis high standard of maintenance should be observed.
Rubber gloves, goggles.
- Glycerol , its cas register number is 56-81-5. It also can be called Glycerine ; 1,2,3-Propanetriol ; Clyzerin, wasserfrei ; and 1,2,3-Trihydroxypropane ;Glycerin .
- Octanol/Water Partition Coefficient:
- log Kow = -1.76
- Disposal Methods:
- Mixture with a more flammable solvent followed by incineration.
Use and Manufacturing
- Use and Manufacturing:
- Methods of Manufacturing
(Synthetic) hydration of epichlorohydrin followed by reaction with sodium hydroxide; reaction of allyl alcohol with hydrogen peroxide; reaction of allyl alcohol with peracetic acid followed by hydrolysis; (Narural) by-product in soap or fatty acid MFR
Production from sugars by fermentation. during world war i supplementary quantities were produced by "protol" fermentation process from sugar, process based upon fixation of acetaldehyde by sodium sulfite.
By hydrolysis of fats & oils through pressure & superheated steam. Also by chlorinating propylene @ about 400 deg c to form allyl chloride, which is converted to allyl alcohol. Treatment with hypochlorous acid yields chlorohydrin deriv. extraction of hcl with soda lime yields 2,3-epoxypropanol which undergoes hydration to glycerin.
By product of soap manufacture; from propylene and chlorine to form allyl chloride which is converted to the dichlorohydrin with hypochlorous acid; this is then saponified to glycerol with caustic solution; isomerization of propylene oxide to allyl alcohol, which is reacted with peracetic acid; the resulting glycidol is hydrolyzed to glycerol; hydrogenation of carbohydrates with nickel catalyst; from acrolein and hydrogen peroxide. Method of purification: redistillation, ion-exchange techniques.U.S. Exports
(1972) 2.89X10+10 GRAMS (CRUDE & REFINED)
(1975) 2.0X10+10 GRAMS (CRUDE & REFINED)U.S. Imports
(1972) 5.04X10+8 GRAMS (CRUDE & REFINED)
(1975) 2.1X10+8 GRAMS (CRUDE & REFINED)U.S. Production
(1972) 1.59X10+11 Grams (Natural & Synthetic)
(1975) 1.24X10+11 Grams(Natural & Synthetic)Consumption Patterns
23% in drugs as vehicle, for smoothness, to maintain moisture, & as humectant, solvent, & lubricant in cosmetics & toilet prepns; 21% in prodn of alkyd resin surface coatings; 15% as humectant in tobacco; 12% as solvent for flavors & food colors, smoothing agent & humectant in foods, & in prepn of quick frozen foods; 11% as softener or plasticizer in cellophane; 7% in MFR of polyester polyols for urethane foams; 5% as chem int for the explosive, nitroglycerin; 6% in numerous misc applications (1974)
Chemical Profile: Glycerine. Drugs and toothpaste, 20%; tobacco, 19%; cosmetics, 15%; foods, 13%; alkyd resins, 12%; polyether polyols for urethanes, 8%; cellophane, 4%; explosives, 1%; miscellaneous, including agriculture, adhesives, leather, photography, textiles, ink rubber, wood and others, 8%.
Chemical Profile: Glycerine. Demand: 1986: 365 million lb; 1987: 372 million lb; 1991 /projected/: 400 million lb.
Chemical Profile: Glycerine. Drugs, toothpaste & cosmetics, 28%; tobacco, 15%; foods, 12%; polyether polyols for urethanes, 10%; alkyd resins, 5%; cellophane, 2%; distributor sales and miscellaneous, 28%.
Chemical Profile: Glycerine. Demand: 1989: 307.7 million lb; 1990: 314 million lb; 1994 /projected/: 340 million lb (Represents apparent domestic comsumption: production plus imports minus exports).
- Cosmetics, hand lotions, adjuvant.
- Sampling Procedures:
- NIOSH Method 600. Analyte: Glycerin mist. Matrix: Dust. Sampler: Cyclone + filter (10 mm Dorr-Oliver cyclone + tared 5 um polyvinyl chloride. Flow Rate: 1.7 l/min. Sample Size: 2.4 mg/cu m. Shipment: Routine. Sample Stability: Indefinitely. /Glycerin mist/
Biomedical Effects and Toxicity
- Pharmacological Action:
- - Substances that provide protection against the harmful effects of freezing temperatures.
- Liquids that dissolve other substances (solutes), generally solids, without any change in chemical composition, as, water containing sugar. (Grant & Hackh's Chemical Dictionary, 5th ed)
- Therapeutic Uses:
- Cathartics; Cryoprotective Agents; Solvents; Vehicles
To increase the efficiency of humidifying inhalations.
Hygroscopic agents(Glycern) are added in attempt to draw more water into bronchial secretions & thus reduce their viscosity.
Glycerin ophthalmic soln may be used topically to reduce superficial corneal edema resulting from disease to facilitate opthalmoscopic and gonioscopic examination.
Glycerin by oral & parenteral admin has been used for management of cerebral edema & to lower ocular tension in glaucoma, & decr cerebrospinal fluid pressure.
Medication (VET):orally, as adjunct to acetonemia therapy especially in refractory or relapsing cases in cattle & sheep (its fermentation in rumen converts it to propionic acid, antiketogenic substance). oral doses may be laxative, but this effect is best accomplished by rectal infusion or as suppositories. inherently a lubricant, glycerine also works by local irritation & fecal evacuation. topically, its osmotic effect is also used in otitis externa; on wounds, where it acts as bacteriostatic agent (if over 50% concn); as lymphagogue on eye, where it reduces corneal edema; & in poultices.
patients who have chronic difficulty with hard, but not impacted, cerumen may beadvised to instill light glycerin into ear canal occasionally to soften cerumen & promote normal removal.
Glycerin suppositories-osmotically-active agents promote defecation by retaining water in intestinal lumen through osmotic forces. May also act by stimulating the release of cholecystokinin.
Glucerin is administered orally to reduce interocular pressure especially in patients with acute angle-closure glaucoma prior to iridectomy. Usually used in conjunction with carbonic anhydrase inhibitors or topical miotic therapy. Glycerin is also used to lower intraocular pressure resulting from trauma or disease, either prior to or following surgery in such conditions as congenital glaucoma, retinal detachment surgery, routine cataract extraction, keratoplasty, & open-angle (primary glaucoma). Also in lowering pressure in secondary glaucoma. Because only a small precentage of admin dose of glycerin is excreted by kidneys, glycerin may be preferred over urea or mannitol to reduce intraocular pressure in patients with impaired renal function. Usual oral dose of Glycerin is 0.8 mL (1 G) TO 1.2 mL (1.5 G)/KG of body WT. Addtional doses may be admin @ approx 5 HR intervals. When glycerin is used preoperatively, it should be admin 60-90 min. before surgery.
Glycerin is indicated for short-term reduction of intraocular pressure in treatment of an acute attack of glaucoma or during or after ophthalmic surgery
When admin orally therapeutic dose, glycerin elevates osmotic pressure of plasma to extent that water from extravascular spaces is drawn into blood. Osmotic effect of glycerin produces decr in intraocular pressure by reducing vol of intraocular fluids completely independent of normal ocular fluid inflow & outflow mechanism.
Cerebral edema: Glycerin elevates blood plasma osmolality, resulting in enhanced flow of water from extravascular spaces into plasma. Withdrawal of fluid from the brain and cerebrospinal fluid by osmosis may result in reduction of elevated intracranial pressure and cerebrospinal fluid volume and pressure.
Glaucoma: Glycerin elevates blood plasma osmolality, resulting in enhanced flow of water from the eye into plasma and a consequent reduction in intraocular pressure.
Medication (VET): lymphagogue; blood cell & sperm preservative.
- Biomedical Effects and Toxicity:
- Following absorbption from gi tract, glycerin is distributed throughout the blood. Although glycerin glycerin generally does not appear in ocular fluids, it may enter the orbital sac when the eye is inflamed, with a consequent decr in osmotic effect.
Most of an orally admin dose is incorporated into body fat. Approx 7-14% of dose is excreted unchanged in the urine./Within 2 1/2 HR after admin/.
Following oral administration, glycerin is rapidly absorbed from the GI tract, and peak serum concn occur with 60-90 min. incr intraocular pressure begins to decline with 10-30 min following oral adminstration of glycerin.
Elimination: renal; about 7 to 14% of a dose may be excreted unchanged within 2.5 hr.
Environmental Fate and Exposure Potential
- Environmental Fate/Exposure Summary:
- TERRESTRIAL FATE: If released to soil, glycerin is expected to undergo rapid biodegradation under aerobic conditions(1). Biodegradation under anaerobic conditions is also expected to occur(2-3). Based on an experimental log octanol/water partition coefficient of -1.76(4) and its water solubility, 1,220,000 mg/l at 5 deg C(5), soil adsorption coefficients for glycerin can be estimated at 3 and 2(SRC), respectively, using regression-derived equations(6). The magnitude of these values indicate that glycerin will display very high mobility in soil(7). Based on an estimated Henry's Law constant of 1.75X10+11 atm cu-m/mol(6) and vapor pressure, 1.58X10-4 mm Hg at 25 deg C(8) glycerin is not expected to significantly volatilize from wither moist or dry soil to the atmosphere(SRC).
AQUATIC FATE: If released to water, glycerin is expected to rapidly degrade under aerobic conditions(1). Degradation is also likely in seawater(2) and under anaerobic conditions(3-4). Based on an experimental log octanol/water partition coefficient of -1.76(3) and its water solubility, 1,220,000 mg/l at 5 deg C(4), bioconcentration factors for glycerin can be estimated at 3 and 0.2(SRC), respectively, using regression-derived equations(5). The magnitude of these values indicate that bioconcentration in fish and aquatic organisms is not likely to occur to a significant extent. Estimated soil adsorption coefficients of 2 and 3(5) indicated that adsorption to sediment and suspended organic matter will not be important. Based on an estimated Henry's Law constant of 1.75X10+11 atm cu-m/mol(6-7), volatilization of glycerin from water will be slower then for water itself(5).
ATMOSPHERIC FATE: If released to the atmosphere, glycerin may undergo a gas-phase oxidation with photochemically produced hydroxyl radicals. An estimated rate constant for this reaction of 1.7X10-11 cu- cm/molec-sec at 25deg C(1) translates to an atmospheric half-life of 33 hrs(SRC) using an average atmospheric hydroxyl radical concn of 5X10+5 molec/cu-cm(2). The water solubility of glycerin, 1,220,000 mg/l at 5 deg C(3), indicates that it may also undergo atmospheric removal by wet deposition processes(SRC).
- caliston and sons ltd:
- chemicals and researched plant food
- Heraeus Ltd.:
- profile: Heraeus Ltd. is an expert within the refining, Buying and selling, manufacturing and marketing of gold and silver for example gold, silver, Platinum, palladium, Rhodium, iridium & ruthenium items. We're an ISO 9001 licensed company. We produce various gold and silver that contains chemical items and rare metal causes recognized by an array of industries, specially the petrochemical, chemical, Plating, electronic, pharmaceutical & automotive industries. Our electroplating chemicals include potassium gold cyanide, potassium tetracyanoaurate (IIi), potassium silver cyanide, silver cyanide, tetraamminepalladium (Ii) Chloride, dichlorodiamminepalladium (Ii), palladium (Ii) Chloride, rhodium (IIi) sulphate solution, Platinized Titanium and silver anode. We're fully outfitted with lab
- Wuhan Mengdifu Chemicals Co.Ltd:
- We, Wuhan Mengdifu Chemicals Co., Ltd., is really a professional chemicals manufacturer and have been exporting basic chemical raw materials for more than 10 years . We have import and export privileges, supplying top quality items in lots of fields. with superior quality and expertise, We've won the trust and support in excess of 2000 clients worldwide.We're a varied chemicals company that mixes the strength of 20 chemical manufacturing sites within our own region and 3 categories of convenient moving teams. Our items satisfy the need for different industries, such as rubber industry , painting coating, water treatment, plastic ,paper-making, Textile industry and so on . The organization is dedicated to manufacture and export caffeine recycleables to overseas. Our items sell well in provi
- Xin Yuan Nails Co, Ltd:
- Xin Yuan Nails Co., Ltd. is a manufacturer of all kinds nails in China,Website:http://www.xinyuannails.com, with assets of 4 million USD, cover an area of 8000 square meters and employ 80 people, operate more than 200 sets of advanced nail making equipment, and will have 500 sets in the next three years. Including: wire drawing, heat treatment, auto Galvanized nail production, auto pin and staple nail making machines, bolt screwing machine. Our mainly products include: Roofing nails, Iron Panel Pin, Common nails, Concrete steel nails, Umbrella head Roofing Nails, Clout nail, Galvanized Concrete Nail, Black Steel Concrete nail, Shoe tacks, Steel strapping tape, Galvanized wire, black wire . Our factory can produce 25 tons of nails every day and if with other wire products the quantity can o
- Shenzhen Oker Tape Co.,Ltd:
- SHENZHEN OKER TAPE CO.,LTD is Established in 1999 ,Website:http://www.oker-tape.com, a professional manufacturer and exporter that is concerned with the development and production of all kinds of bag sealing tape. We are located in SHENZHEN city ,next to HongKong ,with convenient transportation access. All of our products comply with Highly quality standards and are greatly appreciated in a variety of different markets throughout the world.Covering an area of 15,000 to 20,000 square meters, we now have over 400 employees, Our well-equipped facilities and excellent quality control throughout all stages of production enables us to guarantee total customer satisfaction. As a result of our high quality products and outstanding customer service, we have gained a global sales network reaching in
- ZIBO HOLY MASTERBATCH CO.,LTD RB:
- Established in 2008,Website:http://www.holy-masterbatch.com, Zibo HOLY Masterbatch Co.,Ltd is one of the leading plastic mastberbatch manufacturer in China, located in Eastern Chemical Zone of Zibo, Shandong province with convenient land, sea and air transportation, the premises cover production capacity of 30000 tons annually, 11, 000 square meters, 10 high intelligent and automatic production lines. The main products include the Filler Master batch, Desiccant Defoamer Masterbatch and Color Masterbatch. As the mission of " Integrity, innovation, development, win-win" , Holy Masterbatch welcome the customers from all over the world.
- Hangzhou Hengye Motor Manufacture Co., Ltd:
- Established in 1997,Website:http://www.hengye-motors.com, Hangzhou Hengye Motor Manufacture Co., Ltd. is a private limited company and has an area of 28,000 square meters. The company mainly designs and produces AC motors, permanent magnetic DC motors, universal motors, geared motors etc. Our products are widely used in small-scale industry machines, household appliances, food processing machines, floor cleaning machines, medical equipments and so on. ISO9001 certified in the year of 2002, we also obtain TUV, CE, ETL, CCC and UL certificates etc. With series quality inspection equipments, tools and machines, we have established complete quality control system and feedback system. By strictly confirming to these systems, we get customers' full affirmation for providing high quality product
- Qingdao Dyset Chemicals Co.,Ltd:
- We always devote ourselves to supplying dyestuff items and technical services to assist our clients realize high end, high quality and less-cost production to be able to make our clients improve their market competition advantage further. Using our dyes cover polyester, polyamide, elastane, Acetate and other synthetic materials in addition to cotton, linen, made of woll, silk and other natural materials. Besides, we've offered excellent means to fix the dyeing processing for blend materials of above-pointed out.Using the many years of consecutive progress, we've established technology center and manufacturing site in Qingdao, WEIFANG, Shijiazhuang in China.And would like to continue clients to produce a healthy, lengthy-term vibrant future.
- jiangsu Prettech Machinery & Technology Co., Ltd:
- The company Prettech was established in 1971 and is now known as the top brand in the stainless steel tank industry in China. We have 290,Website:http://www.prettechtank.com,000 square meter state-of-the-art manufacturing facility and most advanced production equipment that can produce tanks from 100L up to 1,000 cubic meter. The main activity of the company is researching, developing, manufacturing and selling of equipment for wine-making and beer-brewing industry. Our long experience and innovative technology also make the company do well in designing and producing equipment for food, pharmacy and chemical industry.
- Guangdong Shenzhen Huyssen Technology Co.,Ltd:
- Huyssen produce and design power supplies which supply both standard and customized AC-DC adapters,Website:http://www.adapter9.com, power supplies and transformers, etc. Our products fulfill power requirements ranging from 5 watts to 3 kilowatts. We have been supplying power sulpplies to telecom, LED lightings,government departments, schools, supermarkets, trade company,etc. We will meet your need to lower cost and get products to your markets faster and will go on to improve our power products to serve you more and better.
- Shaanxi Henglicheng Chemical Co.,Ltd:
- Shaanxi HengLiCheng Chemical Co., Ltd. is really a professional manufacture & conveying company in China Landmass.